View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 06, 8:28 am
TMOliver

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have lived in 9 states, driven in dozens more, as well as several other countries. Only in Alabama have I observed these 2 customs.

1. Turn signals for the car ahead of you. When a local driver activates his turn signal, he is likely to be copied by the driver behind him. I believe that the intention is to warn other drivers that this would not be a good time to pass.
I've seen the practice occasionally on narrow rural roads in heavily wooded, low visibility East Texas. It makes good sense, especially in areas with narrow unpaved shoulders, inducing vehicles approaching from behind to slow or stop. If you've ever seen some poor b*stard rear ended by a logging truck, you's do anything to prevent it, including emergency flashers.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
2. Stopping for funeral processions. Put a line of cars on the opposite side of the road, with headlights burning during daytime hours, and the typical Alabama driver will pull off the road. These are my observations. Any from elsewhere?
Still seen throughout the rural South and near Southwest, an ancient custom of respect originally applicable to pedestrians. Less often seen today is a feature from deeper in history, male pedestrians removing hats/caps as the funeral cortege passes. I know of a couple of small towns in West Texas where the entire town shuts down for a funeral, and on the road ftoward the cemetery, approaching pickups will stop and the drivers dismount, "gimme" caps in hand.

A practice which says something meritorious about those who practice it, respect for others.