FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - so a relative called to ask for miles...
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2006, 10:12 am
clusters78

so a relative called to ask for miles...

*ring ring*

<i pick up> hello?
<uncle> hey clusters78, aunt Sally says you have a lot of miles
<i> yes?
<uncle> me and aunt and your two cousins are coming to the east coast july 4th, and the tickets are over $400 each from LAX! Why don't you redeem like 40000 of your miles to pay for one of us.
<i> ... (wanting to bang head on wall...thinking...you want me to redeem $800+ worth of miles for a standard award last minute on july 4th weekend for a $400 ticket...I'd rather BUY you the ticket)
<uncle> I mean that's 1600 dollars, if you help pay for one that'll reduce our burden a lot...
<i> listen, let me check the schedules and see what I can do.

...spent 30 minutes looked over united dates and routes, thinking if I can't find any saver awards I'll just BUY him the darn ticket myself. Found alternate dates for saver awards. Decided ah **** it I'll help my uncle out by redeeming 50k miles for two tickets. At 1.6c per mile one of the worst usage ever, but it's family...

<i> hey, I redeemed 50k miles for two tickets on these dates...you just have to come here a couple days earlier...
<uncle> TWO!
<i> yes two tickets, you'll have to...
<uncle> OMG YOU ARE TOO MUCH! THANKS SO MUCH!!!
<i> hey listen, do you have a United Mileage plus ff #?
<uncle> um yeah I think I do
<i> can you dig it up so I can place it on the reservation? that's almost 5000 miles for your account there
<uncle> OH just put your own ffm on the ticket so you can earn back some of those miles
<i> ...

I think my head still hurts from banging it on the wall