FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you guys cope w/ HYD check-in? Tranquilizers?
Old May 25, 2006, 7:56 am
roundtheworld

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
I'm new here - just wondering if everybody is as frustrated with HYD check-in as I am, or if there are any tricks out there to make this easier. Any other airports with similar problems?

For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure, here's the deal: HYD airport clearly was not built to accommodate international travel - nobody expected the kind of growth India is experiencing right now. A new airport is under construction but won't be completed for another two years or so.

Check-in starts with having to fight your way into the actual terminal - lots of people out there, total chaos, no LH assistance outside the terminal (not much inside, either). First queue is for check-in luggage x-ray (you will also queue there if you have carry-on only and nobody told you that you don't have to have it x-rayed). Second queue is for check-in - no LH kiosk, only 2 (!) C class check-in counters, looooooooong queue. Third queue: Emigration. Fourth queue: Security. Then, time permitting: lounge. Nothing to speak of, no alcohol. Last queue: Boarding, if you did not manage to jump the queue for priority boarding.

I HATE queues with a vengenance. How do you guys cope? Am I expecting too much? (I don't normally [have to] use LH C-class check in). Also, given the labor cost in India, LH could easily hire additional staff to make this process less painless for FT.
Unfortunately you are facing an instituional problem and not LH. The airport is managed by the Governmnt, and LH has to live with the allocated space and procedures.

Sorry MNL is the same, and there they also keep the 5 million relatives outside hte terminal to nesure an slightly normal procedure inside. So you need to fight yourself through.