FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta asks pilots to reduce their pay
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2003, 6:59 am
bdschobel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by typical pm loser:
As far as I am concerned, you can't pay pilots too much. I want it to be a great paying, much sought-after job that continues to attract outstanding qualified individuals. I want it to be competitive with (ideally) only the very best to carry this responsibility.</font>
This attitude leads to ridiculous conclusions. We hear the same arguments made about schoolteachers: "They take care of our children. What job could be more important?" We hear it about firefighters, particularly after 9/11/01: "They risk their lives for us. We can't pay them too much."

But you really can. Schoolteachers in my suburban district can earn just under six figures at the top of their scale. Isn't that enough? Would $200,000 be better -- for the children! How about $300,000?

Pilots are among the highest-paid people in America. Their salaries are comparable to those of doctors, for much shorter hours. Is this OK with you?

Finally, please note that it we doubled or tripled the salaries of al these "essential" and "critical" people, the whole country would be bankrupt, and ordinary people like you and me wouldn't be able to afford to eat.

Just think about it.

Bruce