FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta asks pilots to reduce their pay
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:17 pm
bareflanks

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by typical pm loser:
As far as I am concerned, you can't pay pilots too much. I want it to be a great paying, much sought-after job that continues to attract outstanding qualified individuals. I want it to be competitive with (ideally) only the very best to carry this responsibility.

"Thank you, sir (or the occasional ma'am)," I say at the end of each and every flight.

</font>
I agree!! Even though planes today are highly automated, these folks are still driving the bus when there is a problem. If there is ever an incident, I don't want 2-3 minutes to contemplate my life on the way down. I want someone highly qualified and trained up front. Through 25+ years of flying, I've always viewed the flight crews' first and foremost responsibility as ensuring my safety and opening the cabin door when it absolutely has to be opened. It has only happened once in my lifetime, but I never forgot how professional these folks were and how my life and safety was put before thiers. When it comes to that, you can't pay them enough.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank you.