FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]
Old May 22, 2006, 7:24 am
timo469

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I would wait until staying here

HI all,

I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Fota Island. I must say, that this hotel has excellent staff. They are very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is missing a lot of things though, and I wouldn't stay again for at least 3 more months. The rooms only had one chair near the table, and no desk chair at all. I was told that they are both still on order. The room also had no garbage can. The spa and fitness center (including indoor pool) were all still being built when I was there. The phone systems were often down, and when I needed to make a really important business call, I couldn't get a single outside line at the hotel, really disappointing considering it is a business hotel. I ended up having to drive for a while to find a phone after waiting an hour, and still having the phones not work. The breakfast was fair, as they were still working out a lot of issues.

Overall the hotel is beautiful, and the SPA looks like it is going to be nice. I would stay at this hotel, but I would give them more time to work out the issues. It seemed to me as if the hotel shouldn't have been open yet. The staff was really working hard to make up for a lot of the problems. When the phones weren't working in the rooms, they let me call from the front desk. I just couldn't believe they didn't get a working phone system up before the hotel opened. As a platinum I did not get upgraded, as the suites have not been built yet. I was given a platinum gift of two bottles of relish, and they gave me a set of 4 prints from an Irish artist which are nice.

The golf course, is very nice, but they do require you to wear golf shoes, no tennis shoes allowed. This is very strict, Air France lost my luggage, and I was not allowed to golf there. My dad did golf, and he liked the course.

I hope this helps other out, and if you have any questions, please send me a PM.

Cheers,

Timo