FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best way to "ship" a dog?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2006, 3:44 pm
crhptic

Originally Posted by IrishRed
So a brief search of NWA found this, and it looks to be around $150 these days. Plus your friend will need a vet certificate, which I'm sure the rescue outfit can provide quite easily.
Actually, I looked at that website and it said the "VIP" service (which is what I would assume your friend would want to do for the dog) costs $252 for under 50 lbs., which I think would easily include a Jack Russell and kennel.

However, consider that if the dog takes NW it has to go AUS-MSP-PHX or AUS-MEM-PHX, either of which would be a pretty long trip for a dog in the cargo hold.

Considering the weather in both PHX and AUS right about now, and the fact that your friend could fly nonstop from PHX to AUS on either US/HP or WN for about $318-$350, round trip, I think I would definitely spend the extra $70-$100 and fly down to get the dog myself. I am sure the dog would appreciate the quicker nonstop trip and will be much happier and calmer when they get back to PHX as a result. The last thing I would want is have the dog get to PHX upset/hot/dehydrated and then have it associate all those unpleasant feelings about the trip with its new owner.