FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best way to "ship" a dog?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2006, 12:51 pm
psyflyer
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by JMR
A friend is adopting a rescued jack russel. He is in PHX, the dog is in AUS. What is the best, most economical way for him to get the dog to PHX? He asked, I have no experience.

I did some searches and found some threads here complaining about CO and DL, and found petsonthego.com as well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
First off i hope when you say "ship" you mean bring on board with you. Bcs if not i have no material advice to give. But, when it comes to traveling with your pet im knowledgable. (the misses travels with her pooch. Our dog has visited a dozen or so countries in Europe, many US states, Central America and Asia. All in all he has been on transcon flights on about 10 or 11 r/ts in his young 3 yrs of existence).

We have found that on both trancon flights and domestic that NW has been the best.(5/3-5/9 NW 37/38 r/t BOS-AMS-MXP last flight with pooch.) They seem to be the most on top of in terms of rules and documentaiton procedures (paper work, visa/passport etc) and most of the FAs love dogs and always have been extra nice. Fees for in cabin pet run similar but vary by airline. NW is 150USD international, and also DL i think. Domestic NW is 50USD and also DLs and i think 55USD for AA. AUS-PHX is a route to me not familiar so cant really comment on carrier etc. However, I can tell you that when I bought my dog he came from Arkansas and had it hand delivered to me in BOS. He travelled on a DL flight via ATL(@ 7.5 weeks old) and I met his carrier at the airport... Although I have to check I can remember how surprised I was that the delivery fee was so low. Something like 150bux or so... PM if you like and ill give you the details.

Pets when traveling must buy their own ticket... so shouldn't they earn their own miles?!??