FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worst and Best Airports to transfer through
Old May 1, 2006, 2:22 pm
LatAmCommuter

Programs: UA-1K 2.9MM HH Diamond, BonVoy GLD Life
Connecting in Intl Airports.

Hello All:

Let's see:

1. CDG: a total nightmare, especially with the bus in and bus out, depending on which terminal you land at. If you happen to be there at around noon to 100PM, you catch all the traffic headed out to the African capitals. The lines to stamp your passport and security can be endless, with the rudest people on Earth trying to topple you to get in front. YOU CAN HAVE IT!!!

2. MAD: Old and small. It is a good thing that Iberia has moved to the brand new Terminal 4. This is a much nicer place than the rest of the airport. At Terminals 1, 2 and 3, you most definitely will have a nice long walk in any instance of a connection. This airport is very short of escalators and elevators, so be prepared to go up and down stairways. Not too bad on connection times, though. It is easy to go through Customs and security.
Beware if flying Coach or not being an elite in a FFP. You will face LOOOOONG check-in lines, as in most of Europe.

3. MEX: Way in over its head on passenger handling. Although the check-in lines are not bad, the wait in security can be long, as can be to get your bag or if you come in from South America. The South America fllight passengers are directed to a baggage claim and security that has ONLY ONE Customs inspection station when it is time for you to get bags and get out. You can wait a LOOOONG time to take off at MEX. Connecting can be a breeze as well as an adventure.

4. SCL: The best airport in Latin America. A breeze to check-in, arrive and connect. Plus, a very pleasant, well-lit and decorated airport with a fair amount of facilities.

5. CCS: Talk about long lines for ANYTHING!!!! Arrive here at least 3 hours before your flight.

6. GRU: It has gotten better for getting in and out. Connecting intl to intl can be bad. I have seen very long lines at security for passengers coming from other countries and going to other countries (EZE/GRU/MIA), for example.

7. PTY: Getting better every day. The construction is annoying and you can get stuck climbing 2 flights of stairs in and out of your airplane. When it is done, it will be fairly efficient to get in and out. It is now a good one to connect.

Here's my list of nuke 'em and start from scratch:

a. SJO (Boy do I hate this one, even after re-modeling it is still crap).
b. GUA
c. TGU
d. BGI
e. MGA
f. UIO
g. CLO
h. ASU
i. MVD

That is it for now.