FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Ticket Success - Post It Here
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:55 am
Helena Handbaskets

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Yesterday I reserved 3 skysaver award tix between my home in the U.S. and Europe for September 2006. I was reasonably flexible on dates (anything in the 1st half of Sept. or the first half of Oct. I asked for an open jaw into ZRH or GVA and returning from VCE or FCO.

But the routing is a pain: home-ATL-HOU-CDG-GVA outbound and VCE-CDG-MIA-CVG-home. Three problems with the routing: First is that we're traveling with two small kids and it requires them to endure a layover in Houston between 6 and 10 pm, which has them up well past bed time before boarding. Second, we don't get to GVA until 5pm, meaning we essentially lose a day and have a harder time meeting up with grandparents who will fly a more efficient itinerary. Third, I'm buying my ticket to go along with the 3 award tix. If I bought an efficient itinerary it'd be $850-$900. But buying the convoluted itinerary is $1350.

So although it's great that there was availability, and if it were just my wife and me we'd probably take the routing, I'm pretty sure we'll buy a much more direct itinerary, either with cash or double the Skymiles.

Which means I'll probably be releasing the awards soon, but I'll post that separately since those interested may not read this thread.