FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:12 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The manager when I was there was Rui Reis, who had previously run El Tamarindo in Mexico.

He struck me as being an excellent manager, who took special care of his clients - he even saw us off onto the yacht when we left. It's not his fault that in French Polynesia it's basically illegal to fire anyone unless you film them in the act of murder, and even then you will provoke a general strike. Staff earn ten times as much as their equivalents in Mexico or Bali, but the cost of living is so high on Bora Bora that the odd one resorts to stealing anything they can get away with.

(Don't forget that the French Polynesians are French citizens. People power in France recently forced the government to overturn its new law allowing employers the very limited right to dismiss employees during two years before the age of 26, because it is considered totally unthinkable that an employee can be fired just because the business is doing badly, or there is no demand for his labor. By and large, French people think that if business is bad it is the boss or the shareholders who should suffer, and that they have no right to pass that suffering onto the staff. So in a hotel context, if all the rooms are empty it is profits which should fall, it is considered unacceptable to lay off the cleaners just because no rooms need cleaning. In this context, you can see why hotels in French overseas possessions in the Caribbean and Pacific struggle to ever attain high quality service, because there is no motivation other than pride for the staff to deliver good service.)

If it wasn't Rui Reis that you dealt with I would suggest getting in touch with him to progress it.

The more fixable problem here is the ill-advised decision to accept huge incentive travel groups, because customer care for people who can't chivvy the staff in French just drops off, e.g. the room service story.

Last edited by DCF; Apr 20, 2006 at 6:40 am