FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No hot towel
Thread: No hot towel
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:28 am
Tits McGhee

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Why is it that the towels are sometimes barely damp at one end, yet at other times are so wet that water runs up your sleeve.

And why is it that they are sometimes lukewarm, yet at other times, so hot that they take a layer of skin off.

This inconsistency is totally monstrous.
You're such a b1tch..... .

The hot towels thing, is indeed, something that a number of crew forget to do. The towles are meant to be distributed immediately after takeoff; perhaps before we've done anything else (on longhaul atleast). Most of the time though, the crew will rise from their seats after departure and begin immediately getting the galley ready for the service, often completely forgetting about the towels.

I've had people ask for them in the past which, of course, flags up the mistake. In this instance, I'd immediately suspend my service for a moment and ask one of the guys in the galley to do them - at which point, we'd all realise our mistake and usually a little giggle ensues ("how could we all have forgotten?!?!").

As for temperature, that's a tricky one. It really depends on how long the Brewers have been on. If someone does the towels from a brewer that's only been on for 5 minutes, the water will be decidedly lukewarm. If the brewer is the one used for Crew Coffee on the ground and has been on since we boarded, the water will have an acid-like effect to those with sensitive skin.

It's hard getting a perfect balance that's comfortable for everyone, but general rule of thumb seems to be to have a LITTLE steam coming from them, but not an "inferno" of steam as I had last week before adding a dribble of cold.

Another thing I like to do, just to give you guys a treat, is put some lemon in with the water when it's poured over the towels. Makes them very, very refreshing!