FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How are AA's BOS-SNN flights doing?
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:31 am
OWdevotee

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Cork airport is expanding (expansion due to go online 10 May 2006). Do you expect AA to add (or shift from SNN) to there when that happens?

Since SNN is "in the middle of nowhere", I'm not clear if it's an AA destination because it's an ideal location or just because it's the only practical airport in that part of Ireland NOW. My understanding is SNN was built as a refueling stopover to Europe in the days of shorter-range planes, not as an O/D airport. But I'm curious on whether Cork would make more sense as an O/D airport than SNN once Cork can handle the capacity.
I wouldn't quite agree that SNN is in the middle of nowhere. It's an established gateway to the west of Ireland, fairly well positioned for anyone wishing to get to Galway, Limerick, the southwest, etc.

ORK is tough. I believe it was last summer that Ryan International (no relation to Michael O'Leary & crew at Ryanair) was contracted to fly 757 charters a couple of times a week to New York. It never got off the ground, even with some fairly aggressive pricing. On that basis alone, it's tough to see ORK getting scheduled transatlantic service. Certainly, it can handle the capacity, but there's no shortage of capacity at SNN, either, and SNN has a larger catchment area.