FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:49 pm
hhonorman

What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?

I have (had) a trip to Strasbourg on an award ticket. Was connecting through Brussels. Just got a call from American stating that the flight I was booked on to Strasbourg has been canceled and they are protecting me by putting me on the next flight, which doesn't leave until the next day (only one flight a day, at 8:50 pm.) so I have to get a hotel in Brussels now. Because it is on a partner carrier, AA says they can't provide compensation for the hotel, but offered my wife and I each a voucher for $100.

Is that a reasonable offer? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I wanted to get your take on it. I asked if I could get miles in lieu of a voucher, but the rep said no. There is no other way for them to get me to Strasbourg via Brussels. I need to be in Brussels for an appointment, so I don't think that rerouting through another partner city is an option for me. Should I take the vouchers, or is that a lame offer? What do you think? This schedule change puts a major dent in my travel plans, I've got to cancel the hotel in Strasbourg for a night, find a new hotel in Brussels, and cancel appointments in Strasbourg because I'm arriving a day later than scheduled. What's reasonable to expect in this situation? Should I be grateful they even offered the vouchers? I have little knowledge about what my rights are in this situation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

edited to add:

Since starting this thread, I have gather more info. See post #10 below, where the problem and the info is better stated. I'm not looking to be greedy, I just want to know where I legally stand with the airline (and which airline, AA and/or SN) and whether I'm entitled to be compensated for my reasonable out of pocket expenses such as hotel and transport to/from hotel, and/or anything else? Is a schedule change after tickets have been issued, a situation of denied boarding? If no, are they completely off the hook for screwing up my trip and causing me to incur expenses that I wouldn't have otherwise had to but for their change?

Last edited by hhonorman; Mar 31, 2006 at 3:16 pm