FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby Change Fee Logic?
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2002, 3:30 pm
Justin026

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
To echo fannin's comment.......the original poster had the wrong type of plane.......also the timetable shows the next flight following 90 minutes later and not 30 minutes as was said.

If these relevant facts are wrong, how much of the rest that we read in the post is right?

I have flown redeyes LAX to ATL many times, with the following observations:

1.It is often heavy with airline employee standbys.

2. LAX often makes awful work of the boarding process in general........there is always extra drama in the holdroom

3. Bear in mind that this is the first eastbound flight to ATL since THREE PM; in those seven hours a host of people could have migrated onto a standby list from other carrier problems at LAX or their own hubs, misconnects from Asia from other carriers to Delta, or a scrubbed Delta flight to DFW or CVG.

A quick check of the ITA site shows that upgradeable RT fares seem to be in the range of $450 or so for K-type seats; the inventories of these seats seem abundant for the 10:25 OR the 11:55. (And I assume they were on the evening in question, if they actually sat 78 standbys on the earlier flight). I do agree L inventory seems to vary between the two flights out at the 14 day mark, even then the difference in fare is less than $40 each way between K (abundant on the earlier flight) and L. The people on this board won't bite at that, lose any hope of the upgrade, and then try to standby, would they? Forty bucks for a transcon?

[This message has been edited by Justin026 (edited 09-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Justin026 (edited 09-20-2002).]