FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United sucks!
Thread: United sucks!
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:39 am
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by harrytsui
You seem to have miss the point here. The OP was upset and angry because UAL has lost his lugguage. He blame it on the check in agent for not putting the priority tag on it. I think the handling has some fault to it too.
I don't think anybody's questioning that UA is at fault, although the "priority tag" probably has little to do with it... there are many threads that have brought up the uselessness of the "priority" tags (attached to first-class luggage, for example). Could even be the equivalent of writing "fragile" on a package and not expecting someone to throw it around.

I lost my lugguage with UAL some years ago and I was forced to stay in NY for few more days to wait for the lugguage, with no compensation or apology from UAL. So, I switch my business to NWA from then on.
Nor did NW apologize to me for losing my luggage for FIVE days on my return from AMS. After three days it showed up on their tracking website (a nice feature, when it works), and they mysteriously appeared on my doorstep on day 5. But truthfully, that wasn't the reason I switched from NW to UA. Comfortable seating was the issue; E+ is a big thing for someone like me who can't afford to fly biz or first.

If one is upset with the service that the company give, one is entitle to complaint. This is what we do here, talk it out and hope someone does listen and make it better. Losing one's luggage is a big deal for that person. If this is the kind of attitude of the UAL people, then something is wrong. Rather than saying anyone can lost one's luggage like Air Canada... Just handle it passionately and be brave, take up the responsibility and say "sorry". And promise to do better next time. (or ask how Air Canada can handle it better than UA in the case of loss lugguage, or the measure to prevent it from happening in the first place.) Otherwise, we keep staying in the stone age.
But isn't it true that lost or misplaced luggage is pretty universal, not something that UA has a monopoly on? I agree that there might have been a lack of tact in how the OP was answered, but it was, unfortunately, in line with the tone of the OP. It came across, perhaps unintentionally, as "UA sucks, I'm outta here, the only reason I'm bothering to post is to tell the rest of you that you're fools to be flying UA."

In the humble opinion of a lowly 2P, anyway!