FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any credit cards at this point???
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:36 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Looking at the facts

I think Hilton has it right of all the major chains. Best availability on reward redemption for Diamonds
(those that are the most loyal and profitable to the program) and no point penalties or the use of extra points required to redeem.
If the room is unavailable for points they buy it for you or pull it out of Diamond allotment.That is what I call guaranteed satisfaction with the program.There may be an exception of course but that is typical of the program.
I stay with them and use a wide mix of low priced and high priced Hilton branded properties.
Regularly use the HH Amex Credit Card too which only influences me to stay in the hotels more because I am consolidating quicker in the program.

While this is pure speculation on my part as Hyatt keeps adding brands and enhancing their brands and the GP program I think there remains a good chance we still might see a Hyatt credit card sometime soon down the road.
IMO this is going to become vital for Hyatt far beyond the ability for guests to accrue more Gold Passport points. This becomes another important channel for acquisition and continued interest and involvement in the program.

I have a very good industry friend that won't join Gold Passport simply because they don't feature a credit card.And this is someone that is a frequent hotel customer and heavy spender once they become a satisfied entrenched customer.This is the kind of customer Hyatt needs to aquire
While I don't understand my colleagues decision there are others just like him........
Even folks who don't stay at hotels frequently are more likely to stay where they are enrolled if they have the Marriott Visa only for example.They are pre enrolled in the program

As a regular Hyatt stay guy having a CC is just not that important to me (though welcome) as long as the accumulation of those points don't cause inflation of those awards,threaten airline partnership value and or make availabity tougher then it it already is for the cream of the crop properties.
All of those concerns remain real possibilities
If that might be the case I would happily say no to a Hyatt CC.

Gold Passport in the past has lived up to my every expectation for a rewarding relationship. Lets hope that won't change anytime in the future
Here is to hope another good year with Hyatt ^
And of course a repeat performance Faster Free Night's
(A Freddie Award winning promotion)
Cheers