FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Adults sit in exit row when traveling w. kids?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:51 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Actually, the FAA rules on exit row qualification do disqualify any passenger who is responsible for the welfare of other family members (like children under 15). I'm too lazy to link the FAR but someone else probably isn't so lazy.

The rules say that it's a no-no. You can probably get away with one parent sitting in an exit row while the other parent sits with the kids. But both parents?

Attempting to circumvent this rule is, as pointed out above, fraught with danger that the FA will catch on and move you to a nonexit row (AA's version of E-). FAs aren't stupid - they'll likely spot discussions that will inevitably occur between parents and children who are splitting up after they board.
FAR 135.129:
(a)
(2) Duty to make determination of suitability. Each certificate holder shall determine, to the extent necessary to perform the applicable functions of paragraph (d) of this section, the suitability of each person it permits to occupy an exit seat. For the purpose of this section—
(i) Exit seat means—
(A) Each seat having direct access to an exit; and
(B) Each seat in a row of seats through which passengers would have to pass to gain access to an exit, from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit.

(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because—
(7) The person has:

(i) A condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent the person from performing one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section; or
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.4.23&idno=14