FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Porter Airlines
Thread: Porter Airlines
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:15 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Looks like CoffeeBean agrees with my analysis on this matter from two or three weeks ago that I posted in the ongoing Toronto Island thread on this same topic. Only difference, I was suggesting JAZZ has been holding off on upgrading its DASH fleet until this got played out so it could pick up a bunch of new Q400s real cheap. (Though at 70 passengers these are much larger than JAZZ's routes would really be able to use viably, save for a few shuttles a day across to YYJ from YVR, or between YEG and YYC.)

He's also right about this now being personal. Heard Duncan Dee on the Ontario CBC noonhour show and he was questioning where Ottawa was in permitting the Ports Commission to create a monopoly at a publicly-owned airport. Not to mention the only scheduled airline to continuously use the airport. (And when will CBC get some editors and reporters who know something about their subject? Yesterday's local news stories all tagged JAZZ as "AC's discount airline"!)

I would see PORTER trying to get lots of weekend tour packages between US cities and Toronto hotels going. But the biggest draw -- LOTR -- is going to be off-limits in these packages. (Maybe that's why AC locked into its sponsorship with the Mirvish's, to head off this package option.)

BTW, I see WS plans to set up its own tour company, offering packages directly to the public on its enhanced website.

Last edited by Shareholder; Mar 1, 2006 at 4:25 pm