FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pending india trip (in one week) what would you do?
Old Jun 4, 2002, 8:05 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
For the record, flights to/from India were never suspended during any of the previous shooting wars (India-Pakistan or India-China) so I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of getting stranded there.

Quite honestly, even if there is an escalation of military hostilities, anyone in the major cities, with the possible exceptions of Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Amritsar, Ludhiana or Chandigarh will not even notice the difference. And thankfully, any military action will be very swift, and hopefully decisive.
</font>
The situation is different nowadays. India and Pakistan (and/or China) did not have great air force or geographic power-projection capabilities during their previous conflicts. Now they have greater air and anti-air capabilities.

That is why not all flights were cancelled during prior conflicts.

Commercial passenger traffic was seen as being at risk in India as early as the 1960s. [This statement is based on the fact that I know the UN and Indian government had my grandfather fly on flights out of India with U Thant, the then secretary general of the UN, to minimize the risk to the flight and himself on the way to the UN for another Kashmir-related issue during another stupid war with no decisive resolution.