FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it your "God Given Right" to recline your seat?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:21 pm
joshua-bwi

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
Question Is it your "God Given Right" to recline your seat?

One a number of Trans-Atlantic flights that I have taken over the years, I have had some "run-in's" with the passengers sitting behind me taking great offense to me reclining my seat. These problems have occurred more often than not on Foreign Carriers such as a LH code share as opposed to US Carriers. The type of offense that was exhibited by the other pax ranged from a polite request to put my seat up to a nasty request to put my seat up, or knees in the back of my seat to keep my seat up. For any incident aside from a polite request, I have generally found it necessary to get the flight attendant involved to settle the problem. Now, I have never had this type of "run-in" with a pax that was American. Generally only Europeans on European routes. Also, flight attendant methods of handling problems can differ greatly from one carrier to another (but that is a topic for another thread)... Anyone have an opinion on this.... A good story of an incident? I have one that I will add to this thread as soon as I can find a way to word it as "politely" as possible.