FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA 48 02/16/06 Bump
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyForFun

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I'm back at work this morning after spending two days in Paris. But for $1,600 in vouchers, I'm willing to sacrifice a day in Paris; I've been five times in the past twelve months and will be going back soon.

AA 49 on 02/21/06 was only 1/2 to 3/4 full in coach. Business looked fairly full. I did not succeed in getting an upgrade to business but the two of us had five seats in coach. We also had power ports. The in-flight entertainment disappeared after the safety announcement and a portion of "King of Queens." I had my portable dvd player and lots of dvds so I was not inconvenienced. The food was fairly good for coach; we had chicken, risotto, and carrots; the chocolate pie was yummy. The pizza snack was ok and included mushrooms and other veggies (or maybe just the leftover carrots from lunch?).

The only bad thing about the flight happened just after touch down at DFW when a passenger sitting in row 21 pulled out a bottle of stinky cologne and liberally splashed himself with the smelly concoction. Fellow passengers were sneezing, coughing, and even choking from the stench. Of course, we taxied from the farthest part of the runway to Terminal D; I swear, I looked out the window and saw a picnic area just off the runway, but it may have been hallucinations from the stench of the bad cologne.

This was a great trip and almost equaled my best bump experience in my over 25 years of flying AA. My best was in 2000 when we were op-upped on the outward flight from ORD to ZRH, bumped for $500 on the return (with nice hotel and meal vouchers), bumped again the next day for the same amount, and then op-upped on the return flight. The return flight just happened to be the inaugural flight from ZRH to DFW so we got a cowboy hat and bandana from the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce to celebrate.