FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best C Class Option DFW-GVA
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:40 pm
fly747first
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eagl70
I have managed to take this trip twice in the last 2 months and have at least 2 more trips to make in the next month. I don't think I can stand another trip in the AA business class product. Maybe if they start up the 42K mile promo to London I might make the sacrifice but without any bonus offers I am looking for the most comfortable way to get to GVA in business class while adding to my Q points for the year. I have thought about flying to YYZ to take BA, go to JFK and fly the Swiss code share direct, and even thought about taking IB through MAD.

Maybe I am just too picky but the AA business class seat is not built for my height, I am 6'3". Plus the every greater reduction in food and less than friendly service in flight has made me look for other options. Right now my favorite part of the trip is the 2 hr flight from LON-GVA on BA.
Iberia is an airline that is rather inconsistent, but I do love its new BusinessPlus class. The seats in this class are even more comfortable than Club World flat beds, in my opinion, and all of them face forward. In addition, IB's new BusinessPlus cabin features an onboard bar/snack area, really nice blankets and amenity kits, and an enhanced meal concept that easily surpasses Club World meals (on some routes in Club World, you can have the cheese plate, but not dessert) and snacks such as sandwiches, ice cream, and cheese, are available all throughout the flight.

Thus, as an alternative, I would suggest DFW - MIA, which would allow you to fly the nice B777 flight departing at 11:15 AM, and then MIA-MAD with Iberia on an A340-600 equipped with the new BusinessPlus beds departing at 4:10 pm. Then, MAD-GVA with Swiss , yet this might require an extra flight, i.e., MAD-ZRH, ZRH-GVA.

Swiss has a direct flight from JFK to GVA but it is operated by a 3-class
A330-200 with the old Business Class seats. You can easily catch this flight from DFW. This wouldn't be by first choice, but Swiss is a great airline.

As a final note, British Airways is one of my favorite carriers, but I honestly would never fly them in Club World. Even on the longest flights, Club World meals are not very filling, despite their high quality as I tried to explain before. BA FIRST is another story .