FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Actually had a good experience in MIA...
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:28 pm
chsb

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Ok, one more question if you don't mind...

Did you buy F tix (or mileage upgrade, etc.) or did you get an EXP ('stickerless sticker') upgrade?

My ultimate question, whether you or anyone else can answer, is whether:

A) They even do sticker upgrades into F on these 2-class/3-cabin flights?
B) If so, do they generally hold them until the last minute?

I'm PLAT, so I figure my experience doesn't say that much, but I saw several unassgined F seats (I know, it doesn't mean they're unaccounted for) on the map until well under 24 hours, yet I never saw any X inventory, and my upgrade never cleared.

(I stipulate, though, that I never asked to be on the list at 4 hours at the gate, mainly b/c I was traveling with my wife and daughter on another PNR, and as I noted in another thread, we had J seats. It wasn't really important for me to upgrade; I just thought I would take it if it came, and let my wife sit up there.)
It was an EXP sticker upgrade. I purchased my tickets just two days out from departure and my outbound cleared immediatly on booking but not the inbound. At the time of booking the inbound to DFW was showing F2 so I was expecting the upgrade. At that time I was just happy that I snagged one of the last J seats (3 class cabin/2 class service) but I called the EXP desk right under the 4 hr mark to departure and I cleared. I have only missed on upgrade out of 24 segments this year. The one I missed was able to get on an earlier flight the day of departure and all of F was already checked in full.