FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 54 minutes @ ORD enough?
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:57 am
chicaloca453

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
54 minutes @ ORD enough?

My friend has booked a flight that seems to have a schedule change. Here is what she has:

MSP-ORD via Eagle Arrives ORD @ 8:08 p.m.
ORD-LAX via Mainline Departs ORD @ 9:02 p.m.

My concerns are threefold:

1. She's coming into ORD and on an RJ nonetheless.
2. She's coming from MSP where I'm guessing there just might be weather delays.
3. She is overnighting in LAX and going on to HNL the next morning on the 8:30 a.m. flight. If she misconnects, she won't make that 8:30 a.m. flight and will probably be stuck getting into HNL very late since HNL flights are VERY full on Saturday (Feb. 25).

My question for you FT experts is this:

Should we call AA and ask for a change since the connection time is so tight? I know it's technically a legal connection, but it probably shouldn't be given the Eagle to mainline and the MSP origination. Plus, you guys all know ORD, especially in the winter.

AA.com doesn't give us ontime statistics anymore, so it's hard to gague if this is okay or not. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd demand (as politely as possible) to be rescheduled on an earlier flight so I would have more than one option out to ORD.

Everything is on the same PNR, so she's covered there. It's all AA metal, and I'm sure they'd get her on the ORD-HNL direct flights if she does misconnect. But it's a longshot that she may end up in LAX and on the 8 p.m. flight instead of the 8 a.m. flight.

She's never been to HI before, and I know she wants to maximize her time there (hence the overnight in LAX for the early bird flight to the Islands). She does have to work on Friday, but there are 2 other options for her:

6:09 p.m. Departing MSP-DFW with a 1 hr 20 min connection
4:59 p.m. Departing MSP-ORD with a 1 hr 50 min connection

What do you guys think? Is it a safe risk, or should we phone AA to see if they'd be willing to change it?

Sorry this is so long. I don't go on on purpose, but it does tend to happen. =) Thanks for your help......