FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need credit card recommendation please
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2002, 10:02 pm
andymo99

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Harpo:
The question is, is there another credit card which has miles which can transfer to Delta?</font>
Diners Club. And with Diners, you can transfer to UA and AA (and most others), unlike with Amex Membership Rewards. Other benefits with Diners include:

-12,000 bonus miles in year one (1K per month for each of first 12 months, so long as you charge that month).

-Two months to pay. This is huge if you rack up big charges. You get an extra month before you have to pay anything. Makes a big difference with some interest growth.

-20% off at some restaurants. The rebate shows up as a credit to your statement. Nearly identical restaurant list to those who offer 10X miles.

-Primary Rental Car collission insurance. I don't think anyone else matches this (not primary, at least).

-Occasionally, there are point transfer bonuses. For example, these allow you to get 1.2 AA miles per Diner point or 1.25 CO miles per point. I think they did 2 to 1 with BA for awhile. (In truth, Diners gives you 2 points per dollar spent, but then re-adjusts when you convert back, so you turn in 2 points for a mile... in the end it is a wash, except when they have these nice bonuses).

-Free entry into some airport lounges. (Mostly international, plus the NW lounge at EWR)

All of the above add up to make the ~$80 fee very worthwhile! I just got my year end summary this week and noted what a great value the card was.

Of course, I also carry the DL Platinum Amex, which I am sure to use for all DL purchases (and cell phone, post office, supermarket, etc) as well as for all purchases until I hit the 25K threshold for 10K base mile bonus. Luckily, I charge enough (mostly reimbursables for work, thank goodness) to make both cards worthwhile, in addition to the Starwood Amex, which I use solely for Starwood stays.

If you care to enroll for Diners, kindly consider using me as a referral, as I'll get a 3K mile bonus. Click here and enter referral code SZXQ1134. Let me know if you do this, so I can keep track of expected miles

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 02-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 02-06-2002).]