FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/Partners route to PPT
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:24 am
utwes

Last April, my wife and I flew LAX-PPT via AF for our honeymoon. 150k miles each for a J award in a 3-class 747. It's my understanding that this is the only award (no standard vs easypass), but you can only couple it with a standard CO connection.

I booked it in August (for an April flight) and it was within the first month of AF being added into the SkyTeam, so I might have been lucky with my timing.

The agent told me that AF doesn't release any F inventory to partners, but it was my understanding that Y was available, although I didn't ask specifically.

It IS possible, but good luck. Oh, and as expected, I had to buy the AUS-LAX leg myself and hope for the upgrades to clear as there was obviously no CO Standard awards available that I could couple with the AF award.

As an aside - last month I booked an intra-Europe flight (CDG-NAP) on AF in F (for March), as I couldn't get CO flights (in the standard award bucket) from the US to Italy direct. Again, pretty good availability (on the AF part), and now I get a weekend in Paris, so it works out...

Air Tahiti Nui also used to offer 2-for-1 first/business class tickets from LAX to PPT and the just opened up a connecting flight out of JFK last year, so I'd expect them to have some sort of specials for the JFK crew. Although I ended up not flying them, by all accounts, the quality hierarchy of getting to PPT goes: Qantas (via SYD), Air NZ, ATN, and then AF. The old AF 747s had limited entertainment options (no power or VOD, no individual monitors in Y) and were the old-style AF business seats. Food obviously, was very good. ATN will allow you to redeem, but not earn AAdvantage miles, of course, if you fly JFK-PPT, you might earn enough ATN miles to get a free economy ticket, but obviously, you'd have to research that.