FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acapulco Hotel Suggestions
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:18 pm
AAJetMan

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
I just returned from Acapulco about two weeks ago.
Had a rather disappointing experience w/ the Calinda Beach Hotel.

I had reserved my room via telephone...directly to the hotel, about 4 days before my arrival. The reservation lady gave me her name, and quoted me the rate my reserved room would cost.

UPon arriving for checkin the front desk told me that my room type was not available, but the one type of ocean-view room they did have was a "very nice" suite, for approx 3x the price. I mean, we're talking Las Brisas prices here. This was a Saturday night. I don't doubt that my room had been given away. But it still disappointed me.

It took me a long time of negotiating (some Spanish, some English) w/ a manager to get the cost of the suite down to "just" about 2x the cost of the room I had confirmed.

Admittedly the suite was quite nice...top floor, large, TWO HUGE balconies. But you could still hear the ridiculously loud, annoying music (maybe I'm too old for that hip stuff) from the speakers at the pool.

The third night I moved back to my originally requested room which had become available. It was just fine, but a bit steep at $100. But then again, it's not the Acapulco of 1985 any more.

It was still a great trip. (Man, if you can't have a great time travelling, it's time to rethink life!!!). But this hotel experience really resulted in a budget buster. And although I ended up having a nice rapport w/ the staff, I really can't trust the reservation process. Reserver beware!!