FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite budget travel items?
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:33 am
swise

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
a few to add...

duct tape
I've used it to tape down the button on those showers that you have to keep pushing to make the water come out. Worked brilliantly! I usually wrap .5 cm or so thickness of tape around the end of a pen or pencil. That way it takes up less space.

safety pins

For guides, I like the Michelin Green Guides. They don't always tell you where the cool kids hang out, but they rate all of the things to see with stars. That, along with the maps and content are very useful.
Rough Guides, Fodors, Frommers, and Lonely Planet guides are published on the Web, so I don't bother buying. I'll just print out the bits that interest me.

Ziplocks
They hold toiletries, so that if a cap comes off the leaking isn't so bad. They hold cords/cables if I bring computer stuff. They're great for stationary/post cards/stamps. If I'm carrying powdered laundry detergent, they work for that, too. They're (of course) good for food, either leftovers or pre-prepared picnic stuff. I usually bring about 10 sandwich bags, 5-10 quart size freezer bags, and 5-10 galloon size freezer bags. They easily fit anywhere.

Snack bars
Lara Bars, Luna Bars, Clif Bars, whatever. They keep well, don't take up a lot of room, and provide a relatively filling snack if you get stuck somewhere.

Some trinkets from home to give to people along the way
In the past, we've taken packets of bluebonnet seeds and sheriff's badge pins, both very "Texan." We pinned one of the sheriff's badges on a little boy staying at the inn where we were staying in Southern France, and he thought we were the cat's pajamas after that.