FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Netgear wireless router keeps going off-line
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:23 am
RFTraveler

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Search for other networks, too...

First, do you have a cordless phone anywhere nearby? The oldest ones are at 900Mhz with no effect. The newest ones are at 5Ghz or higher and will have no effect. The somewhat recent models, and the cheaper current ones operate at 2.4Ghs, in the same band as WiFi...so they can jam the signal.

Also, do a search for other wireless networks in your immediate area. Using a program like "Network Stumbler" you can see clearly what else is around and what channel they use. If there are other networks on the same channel, switch the channel on your router to an unused one.

Also, if using XP, you can go to run/services.msc, scroll to the bottom, locate "wireless zero configuration", right click and select "stop" the service. This will keep XP from scanning for other networks when you are attached to yours...for some reason, MS thinks you want to keep lookin for other networks, even when you are on one. It will then try to connect, letting your connection go and then occasionally have trouble going back to yours...

RFT

Originally Posted by milepig
Interesting suggestions - what I find is that when this happens disabling/re-enabling doesn't help. Also, when I do get connected I have excellent connectivity. I think the Netgear just isn't sending out the wireless signal at times.