FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 01, 3:49 pm
andymo99

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EchoVictor:
What are the odds of succesfully using segment upgrades for CVG-DEN on Jan 17 at 12:35PM and also for DEN-ATL on Jan 22 at 12:55PM? I currently have two NAMUs (for which there is current availability) but would rather use MSU's because I have a surplus of them. (Too much international and LUser flying.)

If I had remained a silver, I would have definitely gone ahead and booked the upgrades with the NAMUs, but I am thinking I'll perhaps take my chances with the 800 mile MSUs now that I made gold.

Thanks for all of your help in advance. This board is the best.

-EV
</font>
Your first leg is mid-day on a Thursday, pre-holiday weekend. At delta.com, both classes seem to have plenty of capacity. Flight is 1069 miles, 2:57 in length.

Your second leg is mid-day on a Tueday, post-holiday weekend. First is open, and coach has decent availability (though all for 'preferred'). Flight is 1199 miles, 2:47 in length.

If I were you, I would hold the NAMUs and gamble that the upgrades would be there 72 hours out. For a transcon or a red-eye or a flight with BE, I would say you should burn the NAMU. Of course, if you never take a companion, the NAMU has no extra value unless you use it beyond 72 hours!