FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CLOSED] Sheraton Catania, Sicily, Italy [Converted to a Four Points] [Master Thread]
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:51 pm
dibby

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Sheraton Catania

I stayed there April '05. It's a little ways north of the centre of Catania and I took a rather expensive and wild taxi ride from the airport. The hotel does have a shuttle that runs downtown at preset times. I used it several times and found it helpful. Speaking basic Italian helps with directions and communicating with the drivers.

The check in staff were efficient and spoke English fairly well. I think I was upgraded one room category (I was Gold at the time). The decor was a bit stuck in the seventies/eighties, but everything was clean and in good repair. The room was large and comfortable, with a sitting area (sofa and chair), a large closet/wardrobe unit, comfy (but not Sweet Sleeper) bed, and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There was a small, unstocked refrigerator. There was a small patio with a table and chairs accessible through a sliding glass door and sitting out there was quite pleasant. The room looked towards the water, but there is a busy road between the hotel and the "beach". Regardless, it was quiet and I wasn't bothered by street noise.

Turndown service and housekeeping were great - slippers and a mat by the bed when I came in at night, lots of fresh towels. Breakfast was an ample spread of Continental - pastries, cereal, meats, cheeses, and red orange juice (the local oranges have a reddish tinge). I ate my other meals in town, so can't say much else about the restaurant.

There was a free computer for internet access in the lobby. The beach isn't much - black volcanic rock and murky water, but that's pretty common for that corner of Sicily. The pool area looked nice, but it wasn't officially open for the season yet in April.

I'd go back. Hope that helps.