FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MEA to join skyteam in 2007
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:29 am
ALEXIS2004

Originally Posted by BA
I don't think they will give up their Cedar Miles program. They will join Flying Blue but at the same time keep the Cedar Miles program. I am pretty sure this can be done. Kind of like how airlines can strike code-share agreements with different airlines like how MEA has a code-share agreement with both Qatar Airways and Air France.

Keep in mind that if MEA is forced to give up their Cedar Miles program, then I think they will be forced to end their code-share agreement with Qatar Airways. It's either that, or Air France, KLM, and Kenya Airways (all Flying Blue users) will be drawn into being code-share partners with Qatar Airways which will not happen...

Also, if MEA is forced to give up Cedar Miles, then how will this affect the new MEA credit card being offered by Bank Audi? It is directly tied to the Cedar Miles program.

So I just can't see them dropping the Cedar Miles program.

Regards
In case they maintain the Cedar Miles program, Air France will pressure them into fixing some loopholes to make both FFP's equal.

For example, a BEY-CDG reward ticket under MEA costs 35,000 miles in Y and 50,000miles in C, whereas with AF it is 40,000miles and 60,000miles. In addition, MEA has a yearly 50% sale on rewards from 1 October to 15 December whereas AF has no offers. Cedar Mile Gold members get a yearly 2 (or 3, I am not sure) free ugrade coupons whereas FB Golds/Plats do not get any equivalent etc...

So, the people who chose FB rather than Cedar Miles are unhappy about their situation. Inside info also is that AF is not at all happy about these discrepancies.