FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Century Plaza Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - CLOSING 3/1/16
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:20 am
rfrost

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed at the Century Plaza quite often in the early 90's when I had frequent business trips to LA. IIRC, it was pre-Starwood back then, I was a mid-level (Burgundy, perhaps?) Westin member, and they treated me quite well. (I remember a number of upgrades to the Tower.) Though the place had no charm, I found it convenient and comfortable.
The case I was on eventually settled, and my LA trips after that were mostly on weekends and at more upscale properties, and then FFN's captured me for Hyatt, so except for a PL one night stay last summer and a weekend somewhere along the line at the St. Regis to check it out, I hadn't been back. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, other than knowing the lobby floor had been reconfigured and it feeling a bit odd for it to be a Hyatt now, when I arrived a few days ago.
Valet parking was awful when I pulled in. The driveway was a zoo. No room for the car and no one to take the keys when I finally found a spot for it. A large group of conventioneers was apparently checking out (late) and there was also a long wait to check in. I had a somewhat complicated checkin--I was combining a couple of reservations, and I had to make sure I had all my bonuses and my Diamond amenity and I wanted the HYCARD then and there. Fortunately, the woman who checked me in seemed to know what she was doing. The HYCARD was supposed to be sent to my room, but it wasn't and when I tried to retrieve it at the desk it had disappeared. It was eventually found, but it was a bit frustrating.
The room was okay, though it was two double beds instead of the king I always request and usually get. I was too tired to ask for a change. Ugly dresser (perhaps that's why it was in the closet) and not much better armoire. Nice view, and the balcony carpeting seemed unstained. Starbucks and Coffeemate for the coffeemaker. Safe in the armoire. "White ginger" toiletries (no body lotion, though) in the bathroom. There were Qtips and cotton balls. I did get turndown service, and they replaced the towels/washcloths in the evening.
Valet parking was still bad that night, both outbound and return. By the way, it's now $29.
Loud groups in the lobby at all times except for my very early morning departure.
Breakfast at Breeze (on the AAA rate) was okay. Service was a bit slow but the staff was sweet.
They seem to give guests USA Today, a paper I don't like, instead of LATimes on weekdays.
Concierge was okay. Checked me in for my flight online, which was great, but miscalculated a timing issue for my day's plans, which threw me off a bit.
The note on my bill, which is not on the standard Hyatt form, says to allow two weeks for my points to be credited. And, because there's no line for them, I can't tell if any of the bonuses will post or not.