FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MEA to join skyteam in 2007
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:31 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyACN
The reason MEA didnt join earlier is because they are offered "associate" membership... meaning:

As an associate member, MEA will have to shut down CedarMiles and adopt AirFrance's FlyingBlue. This is a disaster on different levels.
1- MEA will no longer have access to valuable customer data that shows who and what its most valuable customers do
2- MEA will have no say in any SkyTeam decision, they do not even have a vote!
3- MEA is bound to "consult" with Big Sister Air France before starting or changing any new service as an associate member; however the reverse is not true.

I am not sure what changed?! probably RJ joining OneWorld...
Actually, MEA was very well aware from the beginning that they won't get full membership, they're too small.

Someone on Airliners.net posted the reason why their membership has been continuously delayed. Apparantly there was disagreement within the company about whather MEA could keep up to its commitments to SkyTeam while others believed they could.

I think like you said, RJ joining One World put a lot of pressure on them so they decided to join.

I don't think they will give up their Cedar Miles program. They will join Flying Blue but at the same time keep the Cedar Miles program. I am pretty sure this can be done. Kind of like how airlines can strike code-share agreements with different airlines like how MEA has a code-share agreement with both Qatar Airways and Air France.

Keep in mind that if MEA is forced to give up their Cedar Miles program, then I think they will be forced to end their code-share agreement with Qatar Airways. It's either that, or Air France, KLM, and Kenya Airways (all Flying Blue users) will be drawn into being code-share partners with Qatar Airways which will not happen...

Also, if MEA is forced to give up Cedar Miles, then how will this affect the new MEA credit card being offered by Bank Audi? It is directly tied to the Cedar Miles program.

So I just can't see them dropping the Cedar Miles program.

Regards