FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does UA allow miles from one account to be divided up 50/50 under divorce settlement?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:17 am
MP Goddess

Programs: The opinions I express here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of United or Mileage
*sigh* I'm not here to argue with you people, Lord knows I get enough of people trying at work. I shared personal experience and what the people at our offices who handle such affairs (internal audits) have told me.

The ex only tried once to use miles for tickets for himself and his new wife. Booked 2 savers in Y to Osaka. Then they never took the flights and I had to pay $150 to get the miles back in the account. I very well could argue that he used his 120K miles, as he refused to pay recredit fees. I got the password on the account to keep him from issuing tickets any time he felt like it just so I would have to shell out for recredit fees every month. When I was first thinking about it, I asked the audits people what their take was on it...if they'd seen where people had gotten into trouble, etc. The one with the most seniority said, "you're not going to go to jail for not giving him your mileage...nobody has yet, don't worry so much." When he attempted to book 2 F class standard awards to CDG for his inlaws and couldn't get the tickets, he got angry and went crying to his lawyer about how I was being uncooperative and should be fined or imprisoned. The judge saw through his attempts to manipulate the court and told him to get over it.

I see people withholding miles from exes every day, and I really believe the person in control of the miles is banking on the other ex- not wanting to bother with the hassle of court over it. Often, it's more expensive to go to court than to buy the tickets. At $250 an hour, and $2000 for that specific court date, I still can't see why the ex pursued it. And that's just for MY lawyer. I hear his was more expensive. I can maybe see that much hassle over, say 1 mil plus...but anything less...those billable hours *really* add up.

p.s.--Welcome home from a hard day at work, Goddess! Today must have been stressful, what with the server overload with the new purchase EQM promotion emails, huh? *pats self on back*

p.p.s.--I could say something here about arguing on the Internet being like racing in the Special Olympics, but it's been done.