FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does UA allow miles from one account to be divided up 50/50 under divorce settlement?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:57 pm
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MP Goddess (Post #42)
Still no. Since the judge can't rule that MP has to allow the ex to use their miles, he threw the otsc out. He doesn't *have* a share of them, and neither do I. UA can take them from me (or anyone) at any time for any reason. I assure you, nobody has been jailed or fined for not allowing their ex-spouse to use their MP miles. No matter how hard the ex-spouse (or their lawyer) may try.
(Emphasis added.)

Have you searched the court records of all fifty states?

Unless you have, your "assurance" is worthless, and comes perilously close to, if not crosses, the line for practicing law without a license.

If true, your assertion is simply a reflection of the fact that most lawyers and clients are unwilling to take the risk that the client sit in jail until he or she complies with the court's order, and most judges view civil contempt as a very last resort.

You are 100% correct that the court has no jurisdiction over Mileage Plus, a neighbor's dog, or a foreign bank. Yet these kinds of issues arise all the time, and the court does have jurisdiction over the parties, and full power to compel them to follow the court's orders.

Any claim to the contrary is a grave disservice to FlyerTalkers and others reading this thread.

At least those gullible enough to believe you on that particular emphasized point. Your other information was most helpful and informative. Thanks for taking the time to share your story.