FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tall Traveller, employer won't pay for biz class
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:13 pm
typhoon

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Lightbulb Time vs money

I sympathise Talltravel. What is your company travel policy on flights over- say- 5 hours? I know a lot of companies who insist on coach for short flights and allow biz for long-haul.

On a practical point however, it's not likely you can sleep in an economy seat. Therefore your flight hours are not sleep hours and can be counted as work hours. This could be a good argument if your employer gives you holiday days if you travel on weekends. He will want to minimise the holiday 'cost' to him- as each day of vacation he gves you will 'cost' him money. But if he put you in biz- the 'cost' to him is less.

[I have heard of a certain airline whose travel policy for long-haul overnight flights was:
- economy- take the next day off to recover
- business class- come into work in the afternoon
- first or concorde- go to work from the airport]

You didn't mention how long each trip would be-- but if you fly eg BOS-FRA- on a Monday for example, you will arrive tired and wrecked on Tuesday- but ready for a Wednesday meeting. If you travel business class- you will still arrive Tuesday but having had a good night's sleep, and could actually work on Tuesday. You will be more productive.

$350 sounds cheap. If your travel does not include a Saturday night- isn't the flight ticket more expensive? I suggest boooking Sunday- Friday trips because the difference between coach and biz will not be as much.

Finally if all else fails- European carriers do allow pax to congregate around doors, so if you are stuck in economy at least you can stretch your legs and pass the time chatting to other pax.

Good luck! ^

Last edited by typhoon; Jan 6, 2006 at 1:15 pm Reason: mispelt OP name