FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Engine Fire - Flight 2120 - DEN-CVG - 6/18/01
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:16 pm
peteropny
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Engine Fire - Flight 2120 - DEN-CVG - 6/18/01

I've posted this on Trip Reports also but since it pertains to Delta, I'd like to get people's reactions

-------

SkyMiles Gold Medallion Number XXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam:

I was on flight 2120 on June 18, 2001 from Denver to Cincinnati. Approximately 5-10 minutes after take off from Denver, there was a loud clattering noise and smoke poured from the vents. The cockpit and cabin crews kept excellent composure and handled the situation in a calm professional manner. The captain announced that we had lost an engine. For this, I would like to commend their actions. We were able to land back in Denver relatively smoothly and taxi to back to the gate after the airport fire crew checked out the plane.

Back in the gate and terminal, however, the way the situation was handled in the worse possible way. I had used the Airphone to rebook my flight back just after landing, at a cost of probably $30 since I was on for approximately 10 minutes. Since I was in seat 26C, by the time I was able to get off the plane, the line for the gate agent was at least 20 people long. No Delta personnel was at the gate door to calm and reassure the deplaning people. There was only one person working at the gate counter. Several people went over to the next gate and was told to just come back to this gate. I gave up and went all the way back out to the main check-in ticket counter since the line wasn’t moving at all. The reaction of the people at the ticket counter was that wasn’t I there just a little while ago? I was placed on the next Delta flight 626, approximately 4 hours later. Nothing was offered for the situation. Upon pressing, I was given a cab voucher for upon arrival back in Cincinnati and a $10 meal voucher. I asked for a Crown Room Club pass so that I could calm down and was refused.

The crew from 2120 flew back as passengers on 626. I found out that the Pilot said that this type of situation had never happened in his 21 years of flying had looked for possible landing sites short of Denver Airport in fields etc. Also, when two of the flight attendants from 2120 boarded 626 they were in tears. From this it is obvious that the situation was more serious than was announced on board. I must say that I agree with the handling on board since they could cause panic if they didn’t act calmly.

However, I found the handling by the ground crew to be absolutely atrocious after such a serious incident. The treatment was similar to rebooking a cancelled flight that never boarded passengers. Also, I feel that compensation should have been offered to the passengers not only for the 4-hour delay but also for the emotional trauma.

As a loyal Delta customer, I await your response to the way that this situation was handled.

peteropny