FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:26 pm
jmd001

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
We were at the HWV from Dec 17th to 23rd. Booked a pair of rooms using a pair of ALON2 awards (Ms. jmd001 and myself plus daughter and a friend).

In summary: We had a GREAT!!!! stay. Ms. jmd001 did NOT want to leave. One day of much wind, one-half day of semi-overcast; otherwise, gorgeous weather.

Other comments:

The 3 of us had been at HWV 10 years ago, so we basically knew what to expect. Yes, the place is "manufactured", "Disney-ese" ... but beautifully so, IMHO.

At checkin, we were told we had a pair of connecting rooms in the Ocean Tower with an ocean view. I asked "Any chance of a 2 BR suite for a Diamond?". The young lady went in the back and came back about 5 minutes later, giving us a 1 BR suite with a connecting second room (center tower of Ocean Tower overlooking the boat "canal"; Rooms 3096 and 3095, respectively). We loved it! A higher floor might have been better, but I thoroughly enjoyed the view as it was. The boats went right under Room 3095.

Had two EXCELLENT (but not cheap) dinners at the Kamuela Provision Company. The Ahi Wrap at the Orchid Cafe was very tasty!

No bad experiences at all during the stay.

On our last day, the fourth member of our party had an 11 PM flight from KOA (vice the 2 PM flight for the 3 of us). However, the hotel was very accommodating. If it had not be sold out for that (Friday) night, they would have let her keep the room. As it was, they made it easy to store her luggage, and provided a "changing room" to clean up and change before taking a taxi to the airport after the sun went down.

As a side note, the consensus highlight of being on the Big Island was to take the 15-mile ATV tour from ATV Outfitters. About $175 each for about 2 1/2 hours. (Bring/wear your swimming suit and a towel!)