FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acapulco Hotel Suggestions
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:13 am
kboo

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Fairmont Acapulco Princess

Just stayed there a couple of weeks ago in an Ocean View room. Large rooms but furnishings (or lack thereof) make the room feel a little sparse: marble/terrazzo floors, no comfortable chairs - wicker/bamboo furnishings with a small round table and 2 chairs. Then again, you are not spending that much time in your room anyway. Here's my quick pros/cons:

PROS:
Gorgeous, wide beach with soft sand - much prettier than the original "strip" in Acapulco (the bay)
Very close to airport
Restaurants and bars plentiful, lots of decent food
Pretty resort
Staff **very** friendly and helpful
Lots of pools and lounge chairs

CONS:
Not that much stuff immediately outside the resort (other than a Wal-Mart and McD's!) - you'll have to go to the city of acapulco for nightlife, restaurants, etc, which is a $15-$20 cab ride and 20-30 minutes away...
...Which also means you'll pay hotel prices to eat, etc.

Also, the hotel feels like a giant cruise ship on land - which may be a PRO or CON depending on what you are looking for.

(Note, after the Fairmont we also stayed at an older condo in Acapulco proper that was on the bay - when we got in the taxi and told the driver where we were going, he said, "Why are you leaving here?" All in all, I liked Cabo, Cancun and Riviera Maya better - those are my only points of comparison in Mexico)

Hope this helps.