FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AirTran to join Amex Membership Rewards
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 05, 8:40 am
ctownflyer

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by jerry crump
If you have 24,000 Membership rewards points you can't get a coast to coast roundtrip on Song, Delta, US Air, or continental but you can on airtran. So if you have MR points the exchange rate is good if you want a domestic ticket.

As for comparing it to the airtrans visa the 8,000 dollars earlier only applies if you make no double points purchases or recieve any other bonuses. Personally I have recieved about 3 bonus points for every dollar purchased in MR becuase of promotions they offer that I have never seen offered by visa/MC.

While their points expire in a year you have another year till the code expires and another year counting one change to take the flight. So you really have almost 3 years to to take a flight.

I think they have one of the best programs around. To say it sucks seems extreme to me.

I looked into membership rewards a little, It seems that they often offer huge bonuses, like 30-35% to transfer into delta or continental, so with just about 18,500 MR points you can have a free ticket on one of those carriers!

Even without the bonus, airtran simply doesnt fly everywhere like a regular carrier, i would rather have 25,000 miles on a carrier that can take me anywhere in the country i want to get to.

Also even if you play games with redeeming within a year, and changing the dates, etc. the point is you can just let them sit there for years without having to worry about it like on a major carrier, where any activity extends all the points in the account for 3 more years.

Now if airtran treated me and gave benefits as an elite like the legacies do for their elite i would be singing a different tune...