FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Manufacturers warned by EC that aircraft designs must accommodate disabled passengers
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:01 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gemac
Interesting. When will the EC mandate that any of their public buildings accomodate the disabled? Or any of their subway systems?
I presume that you don't come here very much. These regulations were done a long time ago. I cannot think of a public building that has not been constructed new, or adapted, without disabled access.

As far as underground transport goes, all recent projects (eg London's Jubilee Line extension) have incorporated wheelchair lifts from the beginning. The cost of retro-fitting this to the infrastructure is very large.

As of this month every bus in London is now wheelchair accessible, the whole fleet has been replaced over about the last 8 years, again at great cost.

By the way, my own local bus route (London route 101 for those knowledgeable) was one of the first adapted, new buses and alterations at all the bus stops, all ceremonially opened by the mayor of the time. In the 10 years since this was all done I have never, ever, seen a wheelchair passenger on the route.