FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 4, 2001, 8:14 pm
2 Many Miles

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Funny story here.

I was flying to Amsterdam with a friend back in February. He was originating in BOS, and meeting me in JFK (where I was starting) and we were flying together to AMS.

I showed up at JFK, and knowing in advance that the flight was overbooked, asked to be put on the Operational Upgrade list. I was told that I was on a non-upgradeable fare -- which was true, I was in L class. I then explained to the woman that they were going to have have to bump some people from coach to BE, because coach was overbooked by 14, and BE had 11 open seats in it. She told me that it wasn't her concern, and that if I wanted to upgrade, I could pay the fare difference from L to Y ($1550 each in this case) for both me and my friend, and then use miles and/or a systemwide.

I told her that DL was going to have to upgrade someone for free, so she should count just getting the systemwide and/or miles as something good -- they'd at least be getting *something*.

She told me that it wasn't her problem, and asked if I wanted to pay the upgrade to a Y fare. I told her no, and she gave me my boarding pass.

When I looked at it, I noticed that I was in 12A, not 35D as planned. I was in the BE section. DL had already given me an Operational Upgrade. The ticket agent was a COMPLETE MORON. She should have looked at the reservation, seen I was in BE, and said something to the effect of, "Mr. X, we normally wouldn't do this, but since you're such a great customer, and someone has to get moved up...". That would have made me feel special. She could have even taken the systemwide I was offering, "upgraded" me, and I still would have felt special. Instead, she completely blew it.

Now comes the even more fun part. I mention the fact that I'm traveling with a companion on a linked record, and ask if he's in the seat next to me. She looks and tells me that he's still in row 35. But he's not a medallion, so there's certainly no way he can get moved up. It's his first time going to Europe, and I dont' want to leave him alone, so I ask her to take the upgrade back and give me back my seat. Of course, they can't do that -- it's already been given away.

Needless to say, I was rather miffed.