FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled stay online, website says too late will charge my account?
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:12 am
bigjim

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Carolellen607
I had accidently booked a hotel stay twice, so I cancelled one online. The reservation was for June 2006 and the cancellation policy clearly stated cancel by 6pm the day before to avoid charges. So I clearly thought there would be no charge to my account. However, when I cancelled, the website said that it was too late to cancel without charges. I assumed this was a glitch in the system. I then called the cenral number to insure that there would be no charge. The agent said that all internet bookings can not be cancelled without a charge of one night and that this was clearly stated in three places. She said the only way, I could get the charge waived was to call the hotel. I told her that I saw no place on my reservation that talked about a required one night cancellation. She inisted. Anyway, I called the property and they told me I would absolutely not be charged and that their policy is 6pm the night before. Does anyone know what is going on and what the reservation agent was talking about? I don't deal with Starwood too much, so I'm not sure if this has ever happened to anyone on this board before. Thanks
I would definitely get the name of the person that you talked to at the hotel property. It sounds like you might have booked an internet only rate. These rates are typicaly not cancellable/changeable/refundable.