FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New SAS
Thread: The New SAS
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:46 am
miikka

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Bored on SAS

This is just my imagination.

I would like to see SAS to develop a little bit. The new business class seats is a good start but I think it isn't enough. There should be also a unique experience associated with the business class. Today SK business class is good but obviously there is better ones, which will steal customers from SAS. My recent SK business class flights have been good but I would not describe them as perfect.

Additionally to business class we have seen the introduction of P-class. It is interesting concept, it provides a solution to the fare competition problem, how to make money without losing too much. But why take service out and not give something back to the customers? Have the fares dropped in P-class at all?

Economy Flex/Extra is a good concept but have different companies taken this into use. I think some of the companies still use Economy class and do not use Extra/Flex because they have transferred into new model, companies try now to adjust their business in such way that flexibility is not needed. With good contracts it is actually cheaper to put the traveller into a hotel than use more expensive flight ticket.

What about EuroBonus? We have not seen any obvious benefits coming while changes have happened - how about a small discount in P-class ordering? Or personal recognisation on board, which is typical for many other airlines. Small gesture, makes the traveller happy.

Maybe there is too many EBGs and the whole concept has gone down. I have no interest to fly more than EBG limit, then I am free to try something else.

We addressed many of these problems recently with the SAS and it seems that SAS is interested in our ideas but I am still a little bit concerned that am I just too bored with SK products and should I just try something else?

I am planning to try another airline for my next vacation - something I haven't done for years. I have exclusively flied SK and UA for 3 years now (there is two TMP-HEL-OUL roundtrips with AY just because it is not possible to fly with SK/KF for that routing) but I am not very excited any longer about future SK flights.

Options:
1) Use SK as a "bus" to nearest LH/UA hub (most probably UA in LHR)
2) Switch to some other airline completely
3) Continue being bored

Year is ending and starting from January I should either start collecting EuroBonus points again to renew my EBG or then switch. I almost switched Jan 2005 to UA MP but somehow I decided to stay. This year has been quite much the worst year with SK - there has been some unique and wonderful experiences such as FT ARN DO but then there has been some horrible SK flights - more than previous year or and even more than year 2003.

Am I alone with my thoughts or does anyone think that SK has changed quite much from the time you started to fly with them. Anyone else thinking about the switch (or going to test other airlines for a flight or two)?

Last edited by miikka; Dec 10, 2005 at 4:56 am Reason: Spell checking ... and change of title