FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Do You Find The Best Deal When Destination Is Known But Dates Are Open?
Old Jul 7, 2000, 10:14 pm
jwhite4

While other sites are good for finding the lowest "published" fares, they have a problem when it comes to Delta (and probably other airlines as well) - that of webfares costing less.
For example, if you wanted to travel JFK-LAX last weekend (July 4th), the major websites (Expedia, etc.) would have told you $461, the same as if you called a Delta phone agent. However, if you went online, you would have found it for $279, because it was a July 4th webfare.
Even if you exclude the weekend webfare sales, often airlines will have 5% or so off sales for website purchases, further confusing the prices you'll pay.
I wrote a letter to Delta Skymiles related to it. I received a $400 travel voucher 2 weeks ago for being bumped (instead of $250 cash). If I wanted to travel on that July 4th flight, it would have cost me over $60 out of pocket to buy the ticket with the travel voucher, vs. less than $30 if I had taken the cash.

Jeff

Originally posted by magic111:
Do your "research" at Travelocity.
Use the "Best Fare Finder" feature

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 07-06-2000).]