FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Competition to expand service at IAD
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:42 am
jetsetter

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
How Do They Stop You

formeraa,
How technically do the airlines stop agents from booking a buried connection. Let's say you display an availability from BOS to MCO and even sell both the BOS IAD and IAD MCO segments in let's say L booking code. And then you just cancel all the MCO segments out of the PNR, so you juet have the BOS IAD segments in L. How do they stop this? Just wondering if they have implimented some kind of software/CRS hack to stop the practice. When I worked in the business, this was frowned upon, but there was technically nothing they could do to stop you from doing it. There was always the threat of debit memos (this is a term used when an airline charges an agency fare difference due to an agency error) but they would always threaten debit memos for any little thing so I don't know that this was much of a factor or real threat. There were not too many times when this buried fare thing worked, but occasionally you could get a particular booking code seat this way.

I wonder if I could walk in to an agency and have them do this ?