FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Competition to expand service at IAD
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:00 pm
formeraa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I priced a ticket BOS to IAD out Tue Jan 17, and back about a week later on UA and it came out to $138.40 not even close to JetBlue's $70 roundtrip.

While I fly UA on this route, I don't think I will pay double for the priv, and I think I will be booking 3-4 with JetBlue especially during the launch period.

I find it interesting UA is not matching JetBlue at all, because historically this year they would match FlyI's fares. There were several instances when UA had approx $30-$39 one-way fares in this market to match FLYI's sales. Another thing UA has done is largely take S, L, and T booking codes out of available inventory. In other words, they publish S, L, or T fares in BOS to IAD, but they have taken those booking codes out of available inventory unless you are booking a connecting flight tand then maybe like if you searched for BOS to MCO you could get an L seat BOS to IAD, but in order to do it that way you would need access to a travel agency or airline CRS. Boy I miss that access....I was a travel agent in college.
I worked for AA and miss the detailed availability information!

However, most airlines have implemented "married" connections and no longer allow you to book the connection and cancel the second leg.