FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It is all about sticking it to United
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:26 am
jetsetter

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Comments

First of all, thank you very much for posting the phone#. I think one of the best things about boards like this is to get what you might call "insider information." If I just wanted the glossy information that big companies wanted me to know, why not just shut down the Flyertalk board, and put links to the airlines public web sites.

Again, I cannot underscore enough how this kind of information further empowers customers to understand corporate culture, etc., and it is neat to get information "they" may not want me to know. And by "they" I mean big companies.

That being said, I listened to the recorded message that was available today. I found the gentlemen to be more of a down to earth guy than some other big six airline CEO's that I have also had an opportunity to listen too.

The gentlemen spoke about how FlyI has made a difference in the fare landscape in the northern Virginia area, and other communities that FlyI serves. He mentions how big six airlines match Flyi's fares, and when FlyI leaves a market the big six airlines dramatically raise fares. If you call the line, examples are presented having to do both with NW and UA matching and then dramatically (3X or more) raising walk up fares when FlyI leaves a market.

Personally I would like to thank this gentlemen and FlyI for its impact on my travel which I have to pay for out of my own pocket rather than out of some expense account. I fly in the BOS to WAS market about 30 times a year. There is no doubt absolutely that FlyI has dramatically lowered fares in this market. This summer I purchassed several fares at about $96 all inclusive of tax roundtrip. I really appreciate that FlyI and now JetBlue are entering the BOS to W
AS market.

I am a little ashamed to say that while I am fully cognizant that FlyI is the main driving force in lowering the fares in this makret that I tavel in so often, I have bought nearly all my tickets on UA. The reasons for this are the worldwide mileage plus program, UA's channel 9 which lets you listen to ATC communications, and because with the UA program you can obtain first class upgrades. But I realize if it were not for FlyI I would not be able to travel as much, or I might have had to pay 2X the cost for my 2005 travel, again out of my own pocket and not some easy flowing expense account. Again I am greatful that FlyI is in this market, and I am sorry that I have still bought the tickets on UA for my own personal gain despite UA probably having little to no interest in lowering fares. For anyone who travel less than 5-8 times a year, I would point them to FlyI, as they may not value as much a global frequent flyer program.

Also I am pleased that now JetBlue has a $25 fare in BOS to IAD, which will keep pressure on the others to keep fares down.

Sorry for the long rant , and happy Thanksgiving.